Social Media

Support These Suppliers

Starting out the New Year compiling a list of colleagues to review the galley proof of ‘Prescriptions’, firstly to determine how many copies should be printed. Along the way I am also looking for different folks and institutions that will review a book and disseminate their thoughts to the public. During my research I am confronting a small dilemma. In the words of Christopher J. Jarmick, Co-author of THE GLASS COCOON (with Serena F. Holder) who says:
“Many (probably most... but I know for a fact it is many) major metropolitan newspaper book editors and book reviewers (but not necessarily columnists or feature editors--take note) have a firm policy of not reviewing a self-published book. Period. End of story. Exceptions are very, very few”.
Ouch! Jarmick goes on to say that that what he does is: “I don't tell book editors or book store people the book is self-published. If I am asked directly, I tell them it's a little more complicated than that and the short version of the story is that we own most of the company that publishes the book (We do not own 100 percent of the company ourselves and so that would make us less than 100 self-published---a great justification)”.
Jarmick then ends by saying “Without a doubt, 100 percent honest is NOT always the best business policy. Honesty remains the best moral and ethical policy though. A compromise regarding being 100 percent honest may be justified and the right thing to do from a business stand-point but don't kid yourself into believing that absolutely everyone makes these compromises to be successful-- there are a few who don't”.
Is this information still relevant today? Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this dilemma?

Views: 199

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Everyone,
I am a new member who is desirous of growing and sharing.
I have a featured group on Cambridge Who's Who entitled, "The Pen Is Mightier Than the Sword" which consists of over 100 members in the literary field. I hope to be able to share learnings with them while inviting them to join SPANnet with its many advantages.
Please invite me to be a friend.
Sincerely,
Claire Power Murphy, Featured member
Carlos -

If your book has been published to "book store quality" standards, there is no reason to shy away from this question. On the few occasions when someone has asked that question, I have always said, "this book was independently published by RLI Press, a small publisher in Oregon." There has never been a follow-up question!

You are right, however, that some newspapers have pretty much refused to review any book that isn't from a major traditional publisher - no matter what small press published it. Let me say this about that: Most people don't read book reviews anyway! It is much better to get a magazine or newspaper to write a "lifestyle" article about you and your content. Since yours is a health book - inquire of the health editor of magazines or newspapers, blogs, websites, radio shows, etc. There are specific ways to approach them to get them excited about featuring your expertise.

In today's environment, it is all about building your "tribe" as Seth Godin says. Go where your "peeps" are - where do they hang out online or off - build your plan based on all the places where people may learn about you and your expertise - notice I didn't say "your book" - you don't sell your book, you sell your content, expertise and benefits.

If you need help with any of that, you might look at the marketing offerings of About Books - www.about-books.com.

Carol White
Carol White Marketing * P O Box 1115 * Wilsonville, OR 97070
888 522-8747
Speaker, Writer & Marketing Coach
A member of IBPA, SPAN, NSA, & NWABP
Official Marketing Coach for About Books, Inc.
Follow me on Twitter: amarketingmaven
I wrote several articles about how to get more reviews for books. Here's one that will help you:

http://blog.directcontactpr.com/public/how-do-you-get-book-reviewer...

Paul J. Krupin, Direct Contact PR
Reach the Right Media in the Right Market with the Right Message
http://www.DirectContactPR.com Paul@DirectContactPR.com
Blog.DirectContactPR.com
800-457-8746 (TF US) 509-531-8390 (Cell) 509-582-5174 (Direct)

Free eBook download
http://www.directcontactpr.com/files/files/TrashProof2010.pdf

RSS

© 2024   Created by Brian Jud   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service