Social Media

Support These Suppliers

I am self-publishing my first book, and I'm looking for a typesetter in my area, preferably one who charges below market rate. I live in Palo alto, CA. Does SPAN have a referral list for typesetters in my area?

Liz

Views: 95

Replies to This Discussion

Most book designers work for clients all over the country and are adept at sending proofs via email. I would suggest finding a book designer whose style and experience best fits your book, wherever they may be located, rather than risk using a local designer who may not be the best qualified.

I'd also be very careful of anyone who works "below market rate." Low rates are usually offered by beginners, who may ask for more money (or disappear) in the middle of the job when they discover they're putting in more hours than they thought. Low rates can also mean poor quality, if the typesetter is rushing through the formatting and not carefully following the rules of book composition. In fact, some low-cost providers may not know the rules of book composition, which is why they finish faster and charge less.

In book design, as in anything else, you get what you pay for. There's an old adage in business, "Low price, high quality, fast turnaround: pick any two." :-)

Michele DeFilippo

1106 Design

Book design and self-publishing advice. With hand-holding.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Brian Jud   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service