Social Media

Support These Suppliers

For any do-it-yourselfers in this group...upload your cover and/or interior and the designers and other pros here can offer a critique.

Views: 357

Replies to This Discussion

Perfectly stated, Steve.

Problems arise when would-be publishers confuse the two levels and try to succeed in business with an amateur's approach. Unfortunately, the subsidy publishers and others have identified this strong desire and cynically profit at the inexperienced author's expense.

Hi Michele,

I've got another one for you if you have time (and IF I'm not taking advantage by "double-dipping") This one is the cover for a possible ebook.

Eagerly awaiting your wisdom!

Ron

Attachments:

Hi Ron,

This cover, unfortunately, looks terribly self-published. The layout is rather dull and the distorted type is difficult to read and poorly kerned. More wisdom is available, of course! :-)

--
Michele DeFilippo • 1106 Design, LLC
Book and Graphic Design/Editorial Services
610 East Bell Rd., #2-402 • Phoenix, AZ 85022-3519
Web: http://www.1106design.com
(602) 866-3226  Fax (602) 866-8166

Yeah ok I concede - you're right. (Did ya HAVE to use the word, TERRIBLY, though??  LOL)

But, unless some great inpiration strikes, I'm going with the basic design. As unimaginative as it may be, it falls in line with many Bible study/commentary books on the market. But, I wholeheartedly agree about the goofy text and am playing with a fix, there.

Once again, thanks a bunch. I absolutely appreciate your help.

Best of luck, Ron.

This book is personalized. Kids get their dog's photo on the cover and their dog's name. I think the title is all wrong. It should be more personal, like, "My Amazing Average Dog" and the ribbon should say "My Prize Pup" Any thoughts on the cover or title would be appreciated!

Hi Carolyn,

I agree. I'd use something like, "My Amazing Dog [dog name here]." I think "bark, run, nap, repeat" is too cute to leave out, though. Maybe that could be placed in a thought bubble pointing to the dog's head, and in the ribbon something like "[kid's name]'s #1 Pup!"

Good morning Michele.  I would like an honest critique on my book cover please.   I look forward to your response.  Thanks.  PAM
Attachments:

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for uploading your book cover. Please tell me a little about your book (a sentence or two about the story, the demographics of your intended reader, etc.) and I'll be happy to evaluate the cover using the same 10-step criteria used by reviewers, contest judges, and retailers.

Thanks,
Michele

Thanks Michelle.  I've been out of town and no satellite signal.  The story of  "An Angel for Joey" is about a 10 yr old who loses his father.  He is seen knocking on the door where miracles are to come about.  The picture, even though simple, creates a mystery and question of what is on the other side of that door for Joey?  That's the short of it.  Thanks for your time to critique the cover.  I value your opinion.    PAM

Hi Pam,

So this is a children's chapter book, or a picture book?

I think I should send you the review privately, first. (Please send me your email address.) Then you can decide whether or not it should be posted here after you read it.

Thanks,
Michele

Ok.  This is a children's picture book.   Just in case of possible embarrasement, you can send the review to coastalwindspublishing@live.com or plicatino@yahoo.com    I do appreciate your expert input.  Thank you.  PAM

RSS

© 2024   Created by Brian Jud   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service