Social Media

Support These Suppliers

According to Publishers Weekly, in a recent year only 2% of book titles sold more than 5,000 copies, and the average book from a mainstream publisher sold about 500 copies.

I formed my own tiny publishing company and wrote this book mostly for family and friends. Although I know it's a good book, I am amazed (and thrilled) that so many people are reading the life story of someone they never heard of. (I'm not Sarah Palin or Bill Gates.)

I thank all who have bought the book, and reviewed the book and recommended the book. (For those of you who have not yet read it, please do so. It's available as a hardcover, paperback and in multiple e-book formats.)

Also, if any of you have stories to tell -- tell them! Don't be silent. Don't be discouraged. E-books and print-on-demand make it easy for any writer to try to find an audience.

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that, between the two books I've published, I have not even sold ten. Don't get me wrong--when I had my opening 24-hour promotions, copies were downloaded by the hundreds, but no one seemed to be willing to actually pay money (even if only 99 cents) for my work. 

So, I get the idea of not being discouraged, but with as much marketing as I've paid for and done for myself (guerrilla style), I think that I would be able to have people buy quite a few more copies of my book. So, I think I've tried to find my audience, but it just hasn't clicked yet. 

Ah, the mystery of what and why books sell.  I've written 7 novels, published through CreateSpace/Amazon and converted all of them to multiple ebook formats through Kindle and Smashwords.  Apart from selling about 60 paperbacks through book launches to excellent response I have sold absolutely none through Amazon but about 20 through Smashwords.  Have had good reviews on each of them but that still doesn't seem to cause them to go viral.  I've even tried blogging my first book, The Withered of Oz, (an autobiography) in episodes and  although I've had over 1600 hits on my blog, www.bryon.com.mx , I've only had a handful of comments and 2 sales. I suppose seeing there are thousands of books published monthly, to stand out I think you have to be a celebrity or a convicted murderer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Brian Jud   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service