Social Media

Support These Suppliers

My first book is published.  My husband and I are going on an RV trip through the Ohio River Valley.  He loves water.  My idea is to hit the bookstores.  Someone told me to Facebook other authors in the areas and find out about interested bookstores.  Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

Views: 54

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Patricia,

It sounds like you are not a Facebook user.  Here's what I would do if I were planning a trip like yours:

1. Of course, if you plan to use Facebook to cultivate a relationship with your retailers, then you need to set up a Facebook account for yourself.  Fill out your profile from the standpoint of your book.
  2. Identify the stopping points on your trip.
  3. For those stopping points, use Google Maps to identify bookstores and other types of businesses that might benefit from carrying your book.
  4. Check out their web sites to get to know them a bit to confirm your choices and before you contact them.
  5. I think I would call or email the establishments to let them know who you are, and that you plan to be in their area on such-and-such a date.  Tell them why you think they would benefit from carrying your book.  Ask them if it would be O.K. to stop in and show them your book.
  6. If you email, you can let people know your facebook name and/or your own web site.
  7. On your trip, make your visits.  Ask your new contacts whether they are on Facebook.  Tell them about your trip and that you'll be posting updates as you go.  If they are interested, you might suggest "friending" them on Facebook.
  8. Make sure to follow through with any promises you make about posts on Facebook.  Use those updates to engage your new friends and pique their interest in your book.

By the time you get back home, you should have a growing community of friends on Facebook that you can communicate with about the book and perhaps your next project.  I'll be interested to hear how my advice plays with the other publishers on this forum.

Good luck!

Ron

Wow!  Thank you for all that.  I do have a Facebook account and its taking me a long time to figure it out but will put it to use with your suggestions.  Good advice.

Thanks again,

Pat

RSS

© 2024   Created by Brian Jud   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service