Social Media

Support These Suppliers

Traditionally, a publisher first releases a hardcover. If sales are good, about a year later a lower-cost paperback version is released. At some point, there may also be an e-book.

Many books are never produced as hardcovers, or are e-books only.

Last fall I published a mostly humorous memoir --"Stories I'd Tell My Children (but maybe not until they're adults)" -- as a paperback. It received excellent reviews. Sales were low, as expected. I'm not famous. Who reads the memoir of someone they they never heard of?
In April, I released it as an e-book, and sales were MUCH better -- about 150 copies per month! Some readers requested a hardcover for giftgiving.
On Wednesday, I approved the proof of the hardcover edition, which is being printed by Lightning Source.

On Friday, it became available at Barnes and Noble. Amazon seems to be running a little late.
Despite a missing comma and a comma that should be a period, I'm really proud of this book. I've written lots of paperbacks and e-books, but this is my first hardcover, and there is something very special about it. I'm constantly reading, flipping pages, and feeling the smooth cover.

With a hardcover, NOW my mother may finally regard me as a writer. My father was a great story teller and is a major influence on my writing. He died at age 87, two years too soon to see this book. I think there's a lot of him in it. Thanks, pop. I miss you.

Views: 5

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by Brian Jud   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service