Social Media

Support These Suppliers

Is BookExpo America part of your marketing plan?

If displaying your book at this prestigious publishing event in New York City (Monday, May 23 - Thursday, May 26, 2011) could help you to achieve your publishing goals, then BookExpo America (BEA) and their partner Combined Book Exhibit (CBE) have a tremendous offer for all SPAN Members:

For only $145 per title, your book can be on the shelves of BEA’s official book exhibit - The New Title Showcase.

The New Title Showcase provides authors and publishers a display venue in the Crystal Palace Lobby of the Javits Convention Center!

SPAN members who participate in BEA’s program have the opportunity to put their book(s) in front of book buyers, librarians, editors, publishers, agents and more.

BEA’s offer to SPAN Members includes the following:

• Full face-out display of your cover. All displays are alphabetized by company name to support your other marketing efforts and make them easy to find.

• Listing in the New Title Showcase Catalog. This “conference take away” is available to all attendees and contains your contact information.

• Entry in BEA’s online, searchable database at www.newtitleshowcase.com. This listing includes a “Look Inside the Book” feature where you can showcase several pages from your book online.

BEA and CBE normally charge $280 per title per title for this exposition.

But for all SPAN Members, from now until April 15, 2011, BEA and CBE are generously reducing this cost to only $145 per title.

If displaying  your title at this year’s BookExpo America could be a profitable part of your marketing plan, then follow these directions: http://www.newtitleshowcase.com/register_reseller.php?aid=110

Views: 403

Replies to This Discussion

What a great marketing opportunity.  Thank you for sharing!

Sherry,

BookExpo America and Combined Book Exhibit have wanted to work with SPAN for several years, but SPAN’s resources have been focused in other areas.

This year, the good people at BEA and CBE reached out and helped us evaluate our options. It became apparent that if we all focused on our strengths (BEA’s facility, CBE administration, and SPAN communications) we could each meet our goals.

SPAN wanted to provide a promotional opportunity to its members that was priced to work with their marketing plans. Since communication is already part SPAN’s business plan, we didn’t have to incur any additional costs (and BEA & CBE are handling all administration), consequently we were able to offer this savings directly to the entire SPAN community. 

FYI and thanks, Sherry, for being an active part of the SPANnet community!

Brad Poulson

SPAN Communications Director

bradpoulson@spannet.org

My Page: http://www.spannet.org/profile/BradPoulson

Hi Brad,

I don't know much about BEA (and am on the opposite coast). What are the benefits of doing this and how likely is displaying a book to translate into orders/sales?  Is this a place where libraries might see things to order, for example? (I'm trying to get a couple of "natural" non-fiction titles into libraries. Not sure who goes to BEA or how it works when they see books that interest them. Do they just write down titles and go online/to a bookstore later to buy them?)

Thanks for any information you can give on the benefits of doing this that might justify the cost.

Great site!

Julie

Julie,

As you and I have corresponded in a different SPAN forum, please excuse some repetition here...

BookExpo America is a very prestigious, long running conference and exposition. Here is a link to their informative web site:

http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/Home/

In regard to this terrific offer that BEA and Combined Book Exhibit have made to SPAN members, here are a few my thoughts and opinions:

Whether or not any promotion service is profitable depends on how it works with your larger marketing plan.

A wise marketing teacher taught me that most buyers need to see your product at least 7 times before they purchase.

If BookExpo America's New Title Showcase is one of those times - it's worth the cost… because of the type of buyer that attends this expo.

Many of them purchase for institutions and make bulk purchases.

So, if you are in communications with, and already promoting to, the target market for your book (associations, corporations, libraries, distributors, bookstores, education organizations, etc.) and you know they will be going to BEA, the investment is worth it.

How do you find out if your market will be shopping at BEA?

As you know…the publisher needs to work to understand their target market.

As another marketing teacher taught me: marketing is simple…not easy. (Note: BEA’s web site does mention some of the groups they expect at the conference.)

If you know your target market will be at BEA, then displaying your book at BEA's New Title Showcase would work well in your marketing plan.

While I’m sure most of this was already on your mind, I hope this helps in making a decision, and that other members of the SPAN community will add their comments.

Thanks for the great questions and for joining us here at SPANnet.

Brad,

Thanks again for the info. BEA seems to primarily be a showcase for publishing giants, and authors who can attend and promote their own books.

From what I'm reading there doesn't seem much place at BEA for a micropress, with no in-person representation. So...a few questions: :)

1.  Is the "New Title Showcase" for everyone or only for POD or...?  

2. Is it separated into non-fiction/fiction or even broken down into small categories, or organized by author or publisher's name? (In other words, will book sellers really see your book there?

3. How does the "ordering part" work? Do they write down titles they like? Expect free copies? Can you send flyers or business cards with your book (or attached to the cover for reference)?  It's hard to picture how someone would see my book(s) in the midst of thousands and remember to order it later on.

4. For the purpose of "New Title Showcase" is it better to send a hardback copy rather than paperback?

Thanks for any info you or others can give,

Julie

Julie,

These are great questions. They really help to demonstrate the way I would think through this opportunity. Thank you!

Please forgive me from the start. If I say "you" in my response, I hope to be speaking to anyone who might be reading this thread. I’m sure you (the real Julie) has thought through this in your marketing plans.

Also, I hope you don’t mind me posting the Q & A together. I will repeat your statement or question in italics and follow it with my opinion in plain text:

From what I'm reading there doesn't seem much place at BEA for a micropress, with no in-person representation.

BookExpo America will have staff on site to provide overall direction to visitors and maintain the displays. I think whether or not any promotion service is profitable depends on how it works with a publishers larger marketing plan.

1.  Is the "New Title Showcase" for everyone…?

I think this service is for any publisher who's target market will be at BEA, and this promotional effort is at least one of the seven contacts they are planning to make in  communication with them (By the way: SPAN’s upcoming Webinar with Brian Jud will demonstrate how a publisher might get 3 to 5 contacts at one trade show). In other words, this option should be evaluated as part of your marketing plan.

2. Is it separated into non-fiction/fiction or even broken down into small categories, or organized by author or publisher's name? (In other words, will book sellers really see your book there?)

All displays are alphabetized by publisher name to support your other marketing efforts.

3. How does the "ordering part" work? Do they write down titles they like? Expect free copies? Can you send flyers or business cards with your book (or attached to the cover for reference)?  It's hard to picture how someone would see my book(s) in the midst of thousands and remember to order it later on.

Starting with a full, face-out display of your cover, this service also includes a listing in the New Title Showcase Catalog. This catalog is a “conference take away,” available to all attendees and contains your contact information. In addition, your title will be entered into BEA’s online, searchable database at www.newtitleshowcase.com. This listing includes a “Look Inside the Book” feature that allow several pages from your book to be viewed online.

It just occurred to me....a publisher might use these listings in other promotional efforts like a press release or social media marketing (…as seen in BEA’s New Title Show Case data base – read more at www.newtitleshowcase.com.)

4. For the purpose of "New Title Showcase" is it better to send a hardback copy rather than paperback?

BookExpo America will have staff on site to provide overall direction to visitors and maintain the displays.

Thanks again, Julie, for all these great questions. SPAN’s intent is to extend BEA’s generous offer to those independent publishers who are considering BEA exposition as part of their marketing plan…

And just in time, for those SPAN members who are considering trade shows like BEA, SPAN’s next Webinar (Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EST) with Special Sales Marketing Expert Brian Jud is about: How to Profit from Trade Shows.

Brian will help you generate ideas on how to reach hundreds, maybe thousands, of prospective buyers in just a few days at a targeted trade show…and you don’t have to spend a lot of money! 

Here is a link with more information: How to Profit From Trade Shows!

Thanks,. Brad! Really appreciate the answers. 

Just a bit confused about the last one:

Q:  4. For the purpose of "New Title Showcase" is it better to send a hardback copy rather than paperback? 

A:   BookExpo America will have staff on site to provide overall direction to visitors and maintain the displays.

Actually,  I wanted to know whether most indie publishers think it's better to send BEA their book as a hardback or as a paperback?  Anyway, it sounds to me like an opportunity worth taking--thanks again,

Julie

What's a poor person to do? Could you work a deal so perhaps two authors could co-op and get some space? I might could come up with $75 but...The book show in LA cost only $30 to get a spot through AuthorDen. HELP! 
So there's no help here for us poor folks?
Let's see if anyone is watching. I'm beginning to think the best way to make money selling books is selling people a way to sell books. Too pricey guys, for the potential return.
Please note: Brian Jud's Webinar on How to Profit From Trade Shows will be available soon in our SPANpro Recordings.
SPANpro Members can now see this webinar by clicking to Monthly Theme/Course Outlines - Book Promotion.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Brian Jud   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service